Monday, November 5, 2012

Paleo: A personal experience of the benefits

Today is the tenth day of my Paleo adventure. It has gotten easier with each passing day and now I'm able to reflect on what I've gained in the first ten days.

I no longer require caffeine to make it through the day. I used to be a 6 to 8 cups a day girl, and now I drink half to one cup a day. I occasionally make a cup of black tea instead. I went through some headaches with caffeine withdrawals, but the reality is I drank coffee because my energy was depleted throughout the day, and no longer require that bump.


(photo credit: Caffine Bar)
I no longer have food cravings. I don't have deep-seeded desires for bread, sugar, rich foods, or devilish treats. I don't feel allure from pizza or cheese or alcohol. I'm able to walk paste cake, cookies, and donuts without looking twice.


(photo credit: SNS Post)


I no longer have the PM drain. I used to get tired and grumpy at about 2:00pm and I would graze the entire rest of the evening to keep my energy up. No longer. My energy level is consistent and I find myself hungry on what would be a normal schedule. If I eat 150 calories, I'm hungry 2 hours later; if I eat 500 calories, I'm hungry 4 or 5 hours later; as opposed to when I would eat a 400 calorie bagel and be hungry an hour later.


(photo credit: Cartoon Doll Emporium)

I've lost 4 pounds. I wasn't trying to lose weight, but certainly wasn't going to complain if I dropped a few pounds. But I've lost 4 pounds. I won't complain if a few more decide they don't want to stick around!


(photo credit: Project Look Good Naked

My running has improved. This is a big one for me as I'm an avid runner. I was slightly concerned that decreasing my carbs significantly might deplete my glycogen stores too early in my runs, but I've found that not to be the case. I'm incredibly excited about seeing improved recovery times in my running, and increased speed as well. **As a note, weight loss typically increases running time. I cannot say whether it is the weight loss or the Paleo intake that has resulted in an improved running time.


(photo credit: Improve Your Running)

I sleep better. Who doesn't love a restful night of sleep? I wake up refreshed and ready to face the day. Yes, I get plenty of sleep (8 hours, ya'll, every night!), but I've always guarded my sleep carefully. Now my sleep is more productive and restful. I wake up with energy and enthusiasm (not cheerfulness, but I don't want to destroy the world on waking anymore).


(photo credit: O5

I am very grateful for the chance to try this fantastic new plan, and I am excited to see how I feel after another 10 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment