Saturday, October 27, 2012

Day One: Breakfast at McDonald's

I refused to buy groceries this week in anticipation of today. I've been preparing myself mentally for Day One of the Paleo diet all week. By "mentally preparing" I mean I've been eating the last of the rice, pasta, cereal, bread, and lapping up the last of the vanilla syrup I use for my lattes. I woke up this morning with the realization that it was time. I tossed out everything left that didn't fit the Paleo lifestyle and immediately took down the trash.

I committed to having a pleasant breakfast on the way to the grocery store, so this morning I enjoyed my last experience at McDonald's. I savored a Western Burrito and Non-fat Vanilla Latte while my daughter munched a McGriddle and Fruit 'n' Yogurt Parfait. It was a delicious breakfast and I experienced an ounce of grief in the knowledge that I won't have it again.

For about a year I've been waffling between starting Paleo and continuing my normal American diet. I know from previous fasting experiences that my body responds to grain-free eating with absolute joy. I know when I cut out processed foods and sugary treats my energy increases, my skin clears up, I have more energy, and weightloss is effortless.

Knowing these things, I still eat the normal American diet. I eat it because it's convenient and I'm a single mother. I eat it because it's within my price-range and after a full-time job, full-time school schedule, volunteering, and running, I'm exhausted. Those were my excuses. This week falls during a slow week at work, a slow week at school, and conveniently when my pantry and fridge are almost barren.

After my delicious McDonald's breakfast, my daughter and I went to Sprouts and King Soopers where we diligently followed the carefully prepared list. I know the key to a diet change is interesting and easy meals, so I selected several tantilizing but simple recipes from the internet. We're both excited to try them out.

This blog will contain my reflections on the Paleo diet, amazing (or horrible) recipes I try, and an evaluation in 30 days as to whether this is sustainable for me and my daughter.

2 comments:

  1. I wish you the best on your Paleo journey Jolene!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly, thank you! I used your fantastic Paleo Cornbread recipe today and received rave reviews. Thank you for helping make my first day a success!

      Delete